Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Clam Gulch Alaska

The summer of 2007 was a busy one for us. One of our jaunts was to the Kenai Peninsula and Clam Gulch with Kevin and Michael & Lindsay. This was a couple of months before Kevin entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo.

It was a wonderful trip with only a little bit of moodiness that might have but didn't ruin the trip altogether. You see, the "mood determiner" of the family usually does a pretty good job but now and then he loses all sense of rationale. One never knows what will trigger such irrationalities. This time is seemed to be the fact that we were at Clam Gulch at a very low tide which is supposed to be great for clam digging and it turned out to be clam digging at its worst. (There must be other determining factors for good clam digging because there were very few other clammers out there considering the low tide.) For some reason he took the affront personally (maybe it was because it was his outing and he, sniff, failed his family). We found very few clams. They didn't even cover the bottom of the bucket! I, a mean he, is sorry for the sulkiness. That's not fun for anyone!

AnyWAY, here are a couple of videos from that trip.
The first one is Saturday morning getting ready for the day. Lindsay and Michael are in the pop-up trailer dressing or something. Unbeknownst, I forgot to set out the trailer supports in the back the night before so it tended to become a bit tippsy depending on weight distribution. This video is funny but was even more so when the trailer tipped the first time.


This second video is of Julie throwing rocks from the beach into the mud, well almost to the mud. We all got a kick out of her form. The video also pans the beach from north to south. The Redoubt Volcano can be seen across the Cook Inlet.


Here are a few more pictures from that trip. The campground is at Hidden Lake, about 60 miles northeast Clam Gulch.













































































Are you tired of videos? Here are two more that I like. Hopefully they are for your viewing pleasure.



They are so obedient...

3 comments:

  1. I always get frustrated with loading videos and have had a lot of trouble. I tried to load one from our Oregon trip way back when. I was gonna dedicate it to you cuz it was of people just hanging out and playing horseshoes. I thought, 'if Brad were here, He'd be videotaping this.' But then I couldn't get it to load and I was bummed you couldn't see the film inspired by you. Did you have any problems? do you have a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our family. These videos make me laugh so hard. I love how we all just turn around when you say to. We're all, "okay!"... blind obedience to a loving father...

    And I remember thinking I was going to die when the trailer tipped the first time. How could it be that my little hundred pounds could have such a big effect???

    And mom is so hilarious. "I just remember catching a ball...and then...just doing....something...like....THIS!" oh man. I could watch that for days.

    And I agree with Ashley. It takes FOREVER for me to load videos. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evening Ladies,

    I'm assuming that to upload your videos you are following what the "blog" instructs and that the difficulty comes while trying to do that. Well, it does take a very long time to upload video files, they are usually pretty large, larger than photo files. Mine for this blog ranged from about 5 to 25MB. I didn't time it but it probably took 10 minutes to upload and then process just the video of Julie throwing the rocks.

    The one nice thing is that you can work on typing the blog while it is uploading but if you go from that page while uploading it will be interrupted and quit. So if you know you'll be including a video file start the upload before composing your article. Maybe you won't have to wait so long then.

    The time to upload has always been the frustrating part for me. Our internet providers will give us very fast downloading ability but just a fraction of that for uploading. That is why I don't like uploading photos to Costco etc. for printing. It just takes too long to upload.

    You've heard about the online backup services? I haven't tried one because I can't imagine how long it would take to upload 45GB of data that I backup on an external drive. Days? Weeks? Years? Who knows. I know it won't be a few hours.

    So maybe I've answered Lindsay but haven't helped Ashley. Good luck and give a holler if things still don't work out.

    "burlips" was my word verification this time. I like that, burlips. Wouldn't want to kiss those!

    ReplyDelete