Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Well, I thought it was interesting....



This winter has been pretty good in the snow department. My favorite time of winter is when snow is actually falling. I don't particularly like the cold and after the snow has fallen and the sun comes out it is very pretty but... eh, not really interested. Falling snow? I LOVE IT! I would like it to snow -all- -of- -the- -time-. That would be a lot of snow but I would not mind. (I'm envious of Valdez Alaska. Double digit foot snowfalls!) The world is magical when snow is in the air, night or day. After a night of heavy snowing everything looks great outside but I am so disappointed because it snowed AT NIGHT! When I was asleep. Someone should invent a snow DVR so that I can watch it snow later, at a more convenient time.

We live on Eric Circle. It's a circle. A cul-de-sac. Graders come around after a good snow and push it all into a big mound in the middle of the circle. It doesn't get so tall as much as it gets wide. As in diameter. Soon, after quite a few snows, the driving in the circle gets to be a one laner. Ze other day the city cleaned out the circle. The first time this year and most likely the last the way budgets are these days. Usually I have seen a front end loader clear the snow working with ze dump trucks but a few days ago was different. It was way better.

First, this cool multi-position front blade grader-thingy attacked the mountain of snow "stretching" it into a long line down the road from the circle. It took a long time to reshape all that snow into a berm. I was so engrossed watching that I didn't think to record the event for posterity until almost the end of the entire process! You're fortunate to see the tail end, you know you are. Believe me, there was A LOT of snow there to begin.

Second, a huge snow blower came in gobbling and gobbling. Gobbling and spitting out snow into dump trucks! I love snow-blowing our driveway after a good snow. Actually, I really like snow-blowing DURING a good snow. I like seeing the stark and self-evident results of my work. I like seeing that I've actually done something and it looks good. I feel the same way mowing grass. So, the snow blower was HUGE! And POWERFUL! I've seen them working in the streets but this is the first for our little cul-de-sac. Need I say I was ENTHRALLED?


Video #1



While waiting for the next truck the guy would tidy up putting the over-spray back into the center.



Video #2
The push grader is a nice piece of equipment, much better, and cooler looking than the graders that have the blade in the middle under the carriage. Yes, I know it is a front end loader with a blade instead of a bucket. That's the point!



Video #3
Look at the size of the augers when he turns around! I wouldn't want to get mixed up in those!



The result... a nice, clean cul-de-circle.


Two days later it snowed another 8 inches.

4 comments:

  1. What a cool post! Those things are amazing. I was laughing at you and your snow DVR. haha! It reminds me of you videotaping the ocean! :)Whose truck is that in the driveway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things....

    I am not content to JUST WATCH the guys work their machines in the snow. I want to be the person who drives the grader and makes the roads smooth and clear of snow after a snow storm. Talk about FUN!!! What a gas that would be! I did get to drive a big time road grader once and plow our road....a highlight of my life, no kidding!

    Second....

    If you like those big augers on the snow eaters, check out these monster augers. Pretty cool.

    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=monster+shredder&search_type=&aq=0&oq=monster+shredd

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer Lindsay, that is Glenn's truck. Since there was no room in the Teela's driveway he used ours to get it off the street.

    As for Ruth: after my own heart! Seeing it from the driver's seat would be quite different than from the street. I think it would be lots of fun. I watched the video about the shredder, and a couple others too. Amazing! Wouldn't want to slip into one of those, 'course if I did I wouldn't dwell on my mistake long....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that settles it then. After our mission I am going back to college to become a road grader/auger driver. Talk about a dream job! I might even pay them to let me do it.

    ReplyDelete