Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Son, My Role Model

We have been working on the Ford Ranger in preparation for Kevin's return from his mission. He will be driving it at school again this year. It has been in storage for a couple of years so some maintenance was needed.

Well, let me tell you a story...

While on our cruise I received a voice mail message from a friend in whose fenced lot the truck was parked. While getting some of his own stuff he noticed that the passenger door of our truck was open. He investigated and found that the window behind the passenger door was broken out and the stereo stolen. It was a (pardon my "french") crappy stereo so the thief went to a lot of trouble for very little reward. This unwelcome news just added to the fact that the year before while the truck had been parked outside the fenced area, the front right fender was sideswiped by a non-disclosed and non-note leaving culprit.

Well, we have insurance but with a $500 deductible. Turns out the stereo replacement cost almost $300, the fender repair close to $2000 and the little broken out window a measly $700! So at this writing all is fixed except for the fender and that will be repaired while we are picking Kevin up next week. Additionally, we replaced the windshield that was a danger to leave because of the many full length cracks. That cost $200.

Did I mention that battery was dead? So dead it could not be charged. $140.

Okay, the tags were expired so had the IM test done the same time the oil was changed. It didn't pass IM. No registration without IM. Took it to a shop and found out that the electronic distributor cap and gear (that isn't what it's called but the correct name isn't important to me, I'm trying to forget it ever happened. Oh, right, the camshaft sensor and the camshaft synchronizer) were in very bad shape.

The mechanic said he was surprised the truck ran at all. I saw the parts (I'm pretty sure they weren't ones just lying on the floor beneath a shelf for occasions like this), they were bad. Fixing that cost $649.79. The check engine light also needed to be replaced.

After that, it passed the IM, yay!
IM plus registration: $260

Two years ago after (right after) Kevin drove up the Alaskan Highway (3000 miles from Provo) the truck developed a hideous knocking when turning. $2000 to rebuild the rear differential and service the transmission. Glad that didn't happen on the road!

So, I like this truck. It's gutless (even though it has a V6). It looks nice (kinda) and it's a truck... with a bed. I can haul stuff around in it, when I have any stuff that needs being hauled. I feel manly in it. Sure, it is a miniture pickup truck but I do feel a certain manlihood when driving it. The problem is that it's 13-14 years old and worth only about $2500. We've got over $3000 in it! and I can't just let die can I? Besides, I like this truck.

Oh, the story continues! Something happened to the speedometer whilst Kevin was at school 3 years ago. It works for a few miles and then nope. The tach is jerky and won't tach. The odometer works only when the speedometer does (a union thing?). I had the shop mechanic guy look into it. He found the problem. The speedometer doesn't work. Now, I don't like the idea of driving around without a speedometer. There isn't always traffic around to gauge one's speed and well, it just isn't right to have a broken thingy right in front of my nose when I really like this truck. So, "how much to fix the speedometer"? $642 parts and labor. It needs a new instrument cluster that is $442 alone plus two hours labor. I called the Ford dealership to verify the fairy tale that guy just told me. It was no fairy tale. Shoot!

What is Julie saying about all of this? "How come everything wrong with this truck costs $600!"

The mechanic had some good news however. I could look for a used cluster which would cost less and then he would install it for just $200.

About this time I read Ryan's relation of his "manly" experience (I am a MAN!). After getting a quote to repair his scooter, Ryan decided to repair it himself. He did it! And by doing so, gained manly points and saved some money in the bargain. He is truly an inspiration. He didn't learn any of that kind of stuff from his dada.

I thought that maybe I could follow in Ryan's footsteps and gain some manly points myself. (After being emascilated at girl's camp I needed some manly points desperately! THAT is another story...)

I found a used instrument cluster with close to the same mileage at a junk yard for $125. I watched the guy take it out of the mangled Explorer (different Ford, same cluster) hoping to get some pointers about getting it out and then back in. He did a lot of prying and unscrewing which disassembled the left half of the dash pretty much. I should have taken a video of it though that probably wouldn't have helped since he didn't care a lot about what happened to the dash itsself while getting the part out while I'm more concerned about it looking "after" just like it looked "before". He even cut a cable and said something like, "you'll need to do this and that instead, probably".

I searched Google for instructions on replacing the instrument cluster on a '96 Ford Ranger. I found nothing. I stopped looking. How hard could it be?

TODAY WAS THE DAY! The tools I have were barely sufficient (did I mention that Ryan didn't learn to be a mechanic from me?) and soon after I started I seriously considered making an appointment. What's $200 really? Then I thought about my new hero and knew he would be proud if I only perservered.

I took and hour and a half. Oh yes! I'M A MAN! I documented with some photos. Behold the miracle!




The offending cluster soon to be replaced.


The replacement cluster with 12,000 less miles.


So it begins.


At this point I was hoping everything would make it back to the way it is supposed to be.


That stereo was installed only two weeks ago!



Okay, it's coming out.




The winner, the loser.


Look at all that wiring! Thank goodness for harnesses!



Just as I was preparing to install the replacement cluster this THING flew into the passenger door onto the dash. It freaked me out! I finally killed the beast. LOOK AT IT!


LOOK AT IT! It's an inch and a half long! What IS it? And look at the stinger! Are there TWO stingers?

After THAT found the trash can, I continued.

In it goes...


Ta-Daa!


I DID IT!
Everything worked on the test drive. Thanks Ryan. Manly points! You are my hero.

5 comments:

  1. Holy crap, that is the best story ever. I'm so proud! I knew you had it in you. Thos m echanic and their "labor" fairy tails. You did it in less time and even had time to take pictures and exterminate alien life! What WAS that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, WOW dad, that is amazing. Even looking at the pictures gave me a mild panic attack. I can imagine that if I was the one that was causing the craziness, and also the one responsible for putting it all back together, I would have been SUPER nervous. Umm, and isn't a plus of Alaska that we don't have any big bugs? I'm with you guys- what the heck kind of BEE is that!? I'm not okay with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, I'm Lindsay. That says Michael. It's because Michael doesn't log out. I sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! I liked the part about that freakin' huge bee! Oh, and the mechanic-y stuff was pretty good too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEA!! You show em who's boss...
    When you're available I have change stuffed in the seat mechanism in the middle row...We can't get the seat back up and the kids have to ride in the third row...do you mind swinging over??

    ReplyDelete